In today’s digital landscape, we all find ourselves becoming media companies. It’s never been easier to capture, publish and share content. As a business, providing great content, on the right channel, at the right time is critical to driving awareness, engagement and loyalty. At The Pulse Network, we constantly see how Content Creates Community and Community Drives Commerce. Yet, with the advent of 24MP cameras and HD Video and social sharing sites like YouTube and Instagram, we find our storage requirements growing exponentially. With that in mind, as IT Managers, we still need to keep in mind security, reliability, and interoperability. We had a great conversation with Alex Grossman, Founder and President of Active Storage about just these issues.
I always questioned why the storage companies do not quickly adapt the larger form factor drives, like the 1TB – 3TB drives. Alex explained that the modes and paging to which these drives write are very different and the systems are not built to utilize them, which is why Active Storage built their system from the ground up with these drives in mind. Alex went on to say “What if you could take lower cost hard drives and reduce the duty cycle of the drives and get the same performance as the more expensive smaller drives.”
In Sync Up, we always talk about how technology can accelerate business and we like to do this in the form of “Sync Up Takeaways “:
Here are our big Sync Up Takeaways from today:
- Fit – Look for a storage device that was built with your use in mind. Video is very different than database stores, so you want to look at products that are built for your need.
- Format – Look for NAS and SAN Storage Devices that were built with the larger format drives in mind. This will allow you to grow at a much less expensive cost.
- Open – Open doesn’t always mean free, it just minds there is interchangeability and you are not locking yourself into a certain product or technology. I am a big advocate of this. Investing in technology should not lock you down a 10 year path of being stuck.
- Scalability – Look for products that can scale with your business. More and more companies are building products that scale from the single use to the enterprise with 100’s to 1000’s of users.
- Interoperability – As Apple finds its way growing in the corporate landscape, we want products that equally can serve both platforms
Storage solutions are an important part of our future. Active Storage, founded by a bunch of ex-Apple executives, is an exciting company to watch with a refreshing approach. Can’t wait to get my hands on our first 48TB Storage unit!