The 2013 Inbound Marketing Summit, which took place in New York this year, was filled with keynotes from industry leaders and panels with marketing professionals who gave their thoughts about the new age of marketing and what it means for businesses in the future.
1. Be the authentic information hub about your brand, and report about your company like a media outlet. You need to give people the inside scoop that will make them come back to your site because your “raving fans” are your best advocates.
2. Engagement is the most important measure of social media success. Social media success shouldn’t be measured by how many “Likes” your company page has; you should be developing content that is devised to engage your customers.
3. Marketing content will always need to be tailored to be interesting for your customers. The biggest misconception about marketing is that there’s an out-of-the-box solution to drive sales and bring in leads.
4. Use video to ask the question: How can my product or service solve a business problem and help make someone’s life a little easier? Share your story through a customer’s eyes. People want to hear a good story – it humanizes your product.
5. Inbound marketing is all about creating the experience that your customers enjoy through engaging, interesting content. Traditional marketing was all about interrupting an experience that your customers enjoy.
6. Good leads are made. Take the time to invest in your customers — you have to give a lot to get a little. Educating your audience with relevant content will mean much more than giving them coupons.
7. Mobile technology puts your business in the pocket of your prospects. B2B brands aren’t utilizing mobile like they should be — but it’s where your audience is. Figure out how to integrate your brand into their daily routine.
8. Context can be the difference between talking at vs. talking with. Don’t fall into the trap of consistency. Your message on each social media channel should be tailored for that specific medium.
9. Tailor content around the decision-making process. B2B customers complete 60% of their purchasing decisions before ever speaking to a sales rep. You need to find out exactly what your customers need to know in order to make a buying decision.
10. Content marketing will be the most important thing you do this year. Define your marketing strategy and take the time to create great content. Producing mediocre content will actually hurt your brand.